Why We Highly Recommend Farm Liability Insurance
Liability insurance covers you if someone makes a claim against your farm for personal injury or property damage. We work with you to make sure you have sufficient farm liability coverage, so your farm and livelihood are protected.
What is farm liability insurance anyway? How does it help? – Well, your farm is a business, and like any business, you need liability insurance. Farm liability insurance may provide protection if any guests are harmed while visiting your property or if damage is caused to their property as a result of your farm’s processes. Farm liability insurance may protect you from a range of perils you face during operations:
- Incidental damages caused by you or your operations;
- Legal accountability from your personal actions (this may be available from anywhere in the world);
- Medical payments for any injured third-party, even if you are not being held accountable
- Liability for pesticide application;
- Liability expenses as a result of your regular farming operations;
- Protection for legal accountability that comes up as a result of your ownership, occupancy, or use of your farm, and
- Protection for liability expenses as a result of damage to any rented buildings or external business structures.
Some optional farm liability insurance may be available to you depending on your circumstances. This may include protection for the following:
- Pollution Liability: For damage as a result of pollution caused by your operations (although this coverage is likely limited, so be aware of your restrictions);
- Liability for Farmer’s Market Events: Coverage for incidents pertaining to any farmer’s market events you might host, such as if someone has an allergic reaction, slips, or is otherwise hurt;
- Fall Fairs/Animal Shows: For protecting your livestock if something should happen during transport to an animal show, fall fair, plowing match, or 4-H show;
- Building construction liability: For covering farmers that function as their own contractors, do their own repairs and build their own new structures. This protection may provide coverage for doing construction on your premises as well as reimbursement for injury to any of your team, and
- Tourism activity liability: For liability coverage if you provide agritourism activities to guests, such as sleigh rides, apple picking, and so on.
Discuss with a farm insurance broker about any of the above. If it seems overwhelming, not to worry – Trustmark’s team of experts are willing to sit down with you and discuss your farm’s needs so that you can settle with the right amount of farm liability coverage. With us, you never need to worry if your coverage is enough – we’ve got your back.